Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

made: 1950's jagged yoke dress

If you can stretch your memories back to October and November then you will remember when I started making the little red dress on the pattern below... I am happy to say I did finish it! Quite some time ago actually, but I am just now getting around to sharing it after the busy holidays.



 As you can see, it's a little big for LM across the shoulders which I thought it would be. I have found that vintage sewing patterns tend to be pretty true to size or even a little bigger, whereas actual vintage clothing tends to be on the small side - anyone else experience this? Of course, it's fine since that just means she won't grow out of it as fast!


The hemlines in vintage patterns, however, are always short - which is good if you want some cute ruffled bloomers to peek out, not so good if there's a princess pantie peep-show going on... I lowered the hemline on this dress, first, because LM is tall for her age, and second, to save me the work of lowering it later if/when she has a growth spurt.





I really love the jagged yoke with the buttons. The method was so simple, I think I'll post a tutorial on how to do it soon. It's these little unique details in vintage clothing that really get me - the yokes, the collars, the pockets!

Have you been sewing lately?

10 comments:

  1. This is so sweet Stacy! I love the colors you picked, painfully adorable.

    I seriously have a bag of about 30 vintage kids patterns sitting in my sewing room that I will never use. If you'd like them, please email me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, princess panty peep show...

    absolutely darling stace! and so is avery. she could be a pattern model.

    i'm still working on the quilt i started when i was like 6 months pregnant. labor of love indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is SO sweet! I love the fabric combo. I have a kid's vintage coat pattern that has "not suitable for chubby girls" printed right on the front! Can you imagine? Anyway, you can probably guess what I'm sewing..all PR&P, all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really,really cute!! Love the fabric and that zigzag detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Nice job! You are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so talented! i'm just now brushing the dust off of the vintage singer that i acquired & vowing that i'm going to teach myself to sew before the year is over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it, especially the colours/fabric, LM looks so cute in the pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this dress! So sweet, and the simple yoke detail really makes it special :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want to venture into business with your sewing skills, it will be very advantageous if you take classes. You should learn more about the terminologies used in sewing, equipment to be used, techniques, as well as the marketing and flow of business. You don’t want go into this business without learning the ropes.

    ReplyDelete